Indigenous Text Book Lists
The following links will take you to a variety of Indigenous Book lists
- Empowering the Spirit: K - 12 Infusing Indigenous Texts in Classrooms
- This series was designed to help K-12 teachers delve into how they can infuse Indigenous texts in their classrooms in meaningful and respectful ways.
- Government of Canada #IndigenousReads: encourages reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples by sharing Indigenous literature.
- The Association of Book Publishers of British Columbia
- Creators of the Canadian Indigenous Books for Schools list. This list has been released each year since 2007. All lists from previous years are avaiable on the site
- 2018/2019 Canadian Indigenous Books For Schools
First Nation, Metis, and Inuit Publishers
- Theytus Books
- Theytus Books is a leading North American publisher of Indigenous voices. Located in Syilx territory on the Penticton Indian Reserve in British Columbia, Theytus Books is proudly First Nations-owned and operated in partnership with the En'owkin Centre.
- Native Realities
- Indigenous publisher specializing in graphic novels and comics.
- From the Site ~ Featuring the incredible tales of Indigenous icons, First Nations freedom fighters, Aboriginal astronauts, and Native American superheroes whose stories have long been coopted, unheard or ignored. We strive to give you the most original and authentic representations of Native and Indigenous peoples through stories and texts that educate and entertain children, youth and adults.
- Pemmican Publications
- A book publisher with a mandate to promote Metis authors, illustrators and stories. It is a not-for-profit company that operates as an arm’s-length affiliate of the Manitoba Metis Federation.
- Kegedonce Press
- Since it began in 1993, Kegedonce Press has been committed to the development, promotion, and publication of the work of Indigenous writers nationally and internationally. Kegedonce Press is a Native owned and operated company based at Neyaashiinigmiing, on the traditional territory of the Chippewas of Nawash First Nation. We are committed to our guiding vision of publishing and promoting works of the Indigenous writers and supporting the enterprise of Indigenous artists, graphic illustrators, designers, editors, printers and others in related fields.
- Inhabit Media
- From the Site ~ An Inuit-owned publishing company, with our head office located in Iqaluit, Nunavut. To our knowledge we are the only independent publishing company located in the Canadian Arctic. Our aim is to preserve and promote the stories, knowledge and talent of Inuit and northern Canada.