Choosing Catholic Education
Catholic education is a work of love, for the full human development of students, grounded in the person of Jesus Christ and at the service of society. All staff share in the evangelizing mission of the Church as they work to bring about a synthesis of faith, life and culture in their communities.
In Alberta, Catholic Schools are publicly funded to provide families with many educational choices for their child. We welcome families from all backgrounds and encourage you to explore the opportunities for your children.
We are one of the larger Catholic districts in the province and are consistently a top performing school system as measured by High School Completion, Transition to Post-secondary, Rutherford Scholarship eligibility, Educational Quality, School Improvement, and Satisfaction levels from our parents, students and staff.
The District has a rich heritage and tradition of excellence for more than 85 years in providing Catholic Education in the region. Our Founding members, the Sisters of Holy Cross pioneered faith based education in our region. Their philosophy of practical, moral, and religious learning continues to be emphasized in our schools. Our Catholic schools recognize each child as a gift from God, and foundational to Catholic education is the development of the student as a whole person, intellectually and spiritually.
- All members of our school communities are children of God and seek Him in their lives.
- The Catholic Faith provides a framework for learning and life.
- The Catholic Faith is permeated into our curriculum so that contemporary culture is critically evaluated in light of "The Truth".
- Our staff witness to others a life lived in relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Our students, staff and parents are honoured as distinct and unique, while being brought together in a spirit of communion.
Catholic Schools in Alberta
- Catholic schools are a publicly funded, vibrant part of the public education system in Alberta, Northwest Territories and Yukon.
- Catholic schools provide an environment for their students which encourages not only high academic achievement, but also person and communal spiritual formation.
- The presence of the Catholic faith is permeated within every element of the school. Our Catholic school communities are guided by faith.
- Catholic education has held a longstanding distinct role in Alberta’s public education system. This role existed prior to the creation of the province and then was further solidified constitutionally with the Alberta Act, 1905. Catholic education is still celebrated and continually strengthened today through Alberta’s publicly funded system.
- Enrollment in Catholic schools has experienced a steady increase.
- Within Catholic school communities the values of the Gospel and Catholic teachings are not only taught but they are witnessed and exemplified in action.
- A commitment to the ethics of social justice dwells not only within the walls of the school, but also within the community. This contributes to the well-being of our larger communities. Catholic schools celebrate this nurturing and know that it makes Catholic education something special.
- Catholic schools have become a definitive and positive choice for many families.
- For more information on Catholic schools in Alberta, Northwest Territories and Yukon, please contact the Alberta Catholic School Trustees’ Association or your local Catholic school board.