Bus Pass Eligibility
Find Out More
- All In-Boundary Students who meet the following minimum distance requirements receive FREE busing:
- Travelling to a single primary address (same address, to and from school), within the correctly designated school boundary.
- Grade K-3 primary/home residence is more than 1.7 km from their resident/neighborhood school and/or they have to cross a *main arterial road.
- Grades 4-12 primary/home residence is more than 2.4 km from their resident/neighborhood school and/or they have to cross a *main arterial road.
- IMPORTANT: Students who do not meet the minimum distance thresholds outlined above CANNOT obtain a bus pass.
- *Main arterial road way lists can be found by scrolling down this page in the "Find out more" section.
- NOTE #1 - Programs of Choice: Only students who live within the neighborhood zone for Montessori (Mother Teresa), Fine Arts (St. Catherine), STEM (St. Patrick) or a Celtic Academy program (Holy Cross or St. Kateri) qualify for Free Busing if attending one of those programs. If your child attends one of these programs and IS NOT within the neighborhood zone proceed to the YOUR CHILD MAY BE ELIGIBLE TO RIDE tab below.
- NOTE #2 - FRENCH IMMERSION: To obtain bussing to your zoned French Immersion school you must meet the minimum distance requirments AND be attending the French Immersion school zoned to your home address. Any French Immersion students crossing boundary CANNOT access bussing.
- Assuming the search result is "You ride", you can now proceed to filling out your Bus Pass Application.
Find Out More
- Busing may or may not be available for purchase by Out-Of-Boundary students
- Only if an existing route is in place and only if there is space available on the bus may an out-of-boundary student purchase a bus pass. Please note that acquiring a bus pass does not guarantee that spot is available for the entire year. If the seat becomes required by an in-boundary student, your bus pass may be revoked.
- This includes students crossing a boundary to attend Montessori (Mother Teresa), STEM St. Patrick) , Celtic Academy (St. Kateri or Holy Cross) and Fine Arts (St. Catherine) schools/programs.
- When a bus pass is available out-of-boundary, students may also be required to access a bus stop beyond the usual 750-meter threshold that is typically guaranteed to in-boundary students.
- Busing may or may not be available for purchase for Secondary Addresses: Students requesting additional pickup/drop off locations that are not their Primary/Home Address.
- Only if an existing route is in place and only if there is space available on the bus may a student purchase a pass for an additional pickup /drop off location. Please note that acquiring a bus pass does not guarantee that spot is available for the entire year. If the seat becomes required, your bus pass may be revoked
- If the result in the search above is "You do not ride" you still may be able to purchase a bus pass if a route and avaialble seat exists. To apply procced to the Bus Pass Application Tab
Find Out More
- Students attending the following school and/or programs of choice CANNOT acquire a bus pass, and parents must be able to guarantee their own transportation for their child to and from school to attend the school or program of choice:
- Out-Of-Boundary French Immersion School (e.g., Zoned for École St. Gerard's but attends École Catholique Louis Riel)
- Out-Of-Boundary Celtic Academy Program (e.g., Zoned for Holy Cross but attends St. Kateri)
- In-Boundary students who do not meet the minimum distance guidelines and/or DO NOT cross one of the main arterial roads.
- If the result in the search above is "You do not ride" unfortunately you are not permitted to purchase a bus pass.
Which Safety Arterial Roadways are Considered Eligible for Busing?
- Wapiti Road (Hwy 40)
- 68 Avenue
- 84 Avenue
- 92 Street
- 100 Street
- 116 Avenue
- 132 Avenue
- Southview subdivision for students attending St. Kateri
- Students living in Chelsea Villas (those crossing 102 St) to attend St. Catherine
- Student living south of 100 Ave, within the St. Clements boundary, to attend St. Clements ~ NEW
More Details on Eligibility Parameters and Restrictions
Walk Limits to a Bus Stop
Shared/Joint Custody or Transportation to/from a Childcare Provider
We will do our best to accommodate up to two (2) transportation services per student as per the eligible/in-eligible criteria above. Eg. One parent residence may be eligible, while one parent residence may not be eligible or the childcare facility is out of boundaries or not eligible. It will be up to the parent(s) to find alternate arrangements and/or pay any necessary transportation fees.
Urban (within city limits of GP) - Parents with children in Pre-Kindergarten are required to transport their child to a Pre-Kindergarten program unless alternate transportation is designated by the Supervisor of Early Learning and the child is eligible.
Rural - Parents with children in Pre-Kindergarten can be transported to a Pre-Kindergarten program by school bus only if an older sibling is riding.